Sriram Ramesh: Our second year MBA student specializing in Finance shares his Internship Experience at Dell Technologies Ltd.


I interned with Dell Technologies, Bengaluru during the summer. It was a wonderful experience and I thank Dell for providing me the opportunity. I interned with the finance team of the “Commercial” department at Dell. My role at Dell was related to creating parameters and tools to monitor the performance and produce insights to increase the return on investment for the company. The internship acted as a bridge between the academic world and the real world. I got the chance to apply most of what I learnt during the first year of MBA. 

The first thing that I want to stress upon is the work environment. Dell encourages calling all the colleagues by their first name. This was a big change for me and this made it easy to strike a conversation with almost anyone with ease. All my team members, my mentor, and my reporting director, were cordial, patient and constantly motivated me to bring out the best in me. I was guided along every step of my journey at Dell. 

Secondly, Dell consistently has been part of Ethisphere’s “Most Ethical Companies in the World” list. I could see this in action at Dell. Ethics was given the same importance as the net profit when making a decision. Rules were clearly laid down and more importantly, every employee adhered to them. Ethics training is given to every employee at Dell and ethical behaviour is encouraged. Every employee at Dell is proud of this fact. During one of my first interaction with my Director, he proudly mentioned about the Ethics and Culture at Dell and how it begins from an individual’s commitment and determination to do the right thing when no one’s looking. This was one of the most important life lessons I learnt at Dell. 

Thirdly, this internship was an opportunity to judge me and analyse my strengths and weaknesses academically. No matter how well a course is designed, reality will always be slightly different. This internship exposed me to various challenging situations which helped me identify the areas where I needed more focus. It’s hard to get such clarity sitting in a class as real-life problems aren’t as easy as solving a problem from textbook applying a fixed set of formulas.

Overall, this was an enriching experience. Over the course of two months, I have learnt many valuable lessons not just academically but for life as well. If I have to summarise my experience at Dell in a word, I would say it has been a “Dell-ight”.